We have all had those awful night-time cravings but snacking at that time can interfere with your fitness goals. But, don’t worry! We are here to explain why this happens and how to avoid it.
Why do we crave food before going to bed?
If you are hungry at night, it may be because your body is trying to compensate for the energy you usually burn during the day or maybe it is simply due to skipping meals, which can lead to late-night snack cravings.
Why shouldn’t we eat snacks at night?
Eating snacks at night interferes with the release of melatonin, a hormone we need to sleep well.
What you should avoid at all costs before going to bed.
- Raw vegetables: these are difficult to digest and may affect your sleep.
- Fatty foods: fat takes several hours to be digested and may cause acidity.
- Large or heavy meals: they fill you with energy and are not necessary before going to sleep. If you can’t make a balanced meal, we recommend having a Shake Me! for dinner.
- Alcohol: it will only make you hungrier and it is not compatible with a good night’s sleep.
How to stop this bad habit
- Plan all your meals
- Increase protein and fiber
- Get enough sleep
- Turn off screens while you eat; this will stop you from getting hungrier
- Ask yourself before you snack if you are really hungry
- Follow your VIVRI Journal for more meal suggestions
Changing your habits may be difficult but it is not impossible. And with this information, you will get there in no time at all!
Remember that habits are formed by being consistent, they don’t happen overnight.