vivriwebdesign https://vivri.site/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/LOGO12.png vivriwebdesign2016-07-19 19:13:232016-07-19 19:13:23Wild rice salad with crispy tofu
For the balsamic vinaigrette:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 ears corn
- Olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 package firm tofu, drained well, medium diced
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup English cucumbers, seeds removed, small diced
- 1/2 cup radishes, small diced (or sliced on mandolin)
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs of your choice (basil, mint, dill, parsley)
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot of unsalted water. Once water is boiled, add the wild rice. After 15-20 minutes, the grains will start to split; at this point you can add salt to the water to flavor the rice and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes until tender. Drain well, rinse, and cool the rice for later use. Note: the rice will not be tender if you salt it in the beginning.
- Char the corn on the grill until there is color, cut kernels off, and chill (discard cobs).
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Toss tofu in a mixture of rice flour and cornstarch, and shake off excess. Sauté for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Remove onto a paper towel and season lightly with salt.
- Get a large mixing bowl; add cooked wild rice, grilled corn kernels, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, kidney beans, parsley, basil, and enough dressing to absorb well into the rice. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Taste it to make sure it has an even amount of acid and brightness from the vinaigrette and fresh herbs. Garnish with additional chopped basil and parsley if needed.
- Top with crispy tofu and serve immediately.